While you are away this holiday season, use these tips to keep your home safe!
1. Be sure to have a neighbor or somone that you know shovel the snow on your walkway. It is also a good idea to have them walk in a pattern from the door to your driveway or down the street a little to give the appearance of someone actively coming out of the home on a normal daily basis.
2. A good indication to thieves that someone is away from home is the mail stacking up or phone books and newspapers sitting on the driveway or by the front door. The avoid this, have a neighbor or friend come by to pick up your mail and to make sure there are no newspapers in the driveway or advertising fliers on the front door.
3. Make sure all your windows and doors are locked securely and that you have window locks on all windows that slide open and and glass sliding doors. Window locks should be placed securely behind the sliding window or door to prevent anyone from being able to slide the window or door open to enter.
4. Unplug appliances, such as coffee makers, computers, TV's and stereos. Save money while you are gone! And prevent electrical fire!
5. Make sure your home insurance, renters insurance and any other personal policies are current, just in case there is an emergency in which you will need coverage!
Have a happy and a safe holiday season!!